Monday, September 08, 2008

Skeeter Season


Thousands of mosquitos would gather around the rosemary bush outside my back door and stay there for hours, especially around dusk. The landlord cut down the rosemary bush to paint the house, but I've seen the same curious behavior elsewhere, like in these photos I shot of a neighbor's tree. At first I thought it was a local annual oddity, but have since heard much town-talk about how bad the mosquitos have been this year. I'm quite familiar with mosquitos and their bites, but have not seen this behavior before.

***I'm assuming the fuzzy dot on the top-center of all the photos is a speck of dirt on my camera's lens-- all the other dots and dashes around the tree are mosquitos. I did donate blood in my efforts to capture the spectacle... but not as much as one might think.***




Twilight over McKinleyville, CA

No comments: